In this article, I am going to try to share all the HTML basics, if any thing is missing please let me know through comments or by contacting me through email.
What is HTML
HTML or Hypertext Markup Language, was created by Berners-Lee in 1991. You can read more about him here.
It is a markup language used to create and structure website templates or web pages to present content on the world wide web (www).
It consists of a series of elements, and the HTML elements, tells the web browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari etc. on how to display the content.
HTML helps in making the text more interactive and dynamic. You can save an HTML page by adding the extention .html or in the webpage name eg. index.html
HTML5 is the latest version
Features of HTML
The following are the features of HTML :
- It is a markup language that provides flexibility to design web pages with text.
- It is easy to use and learn.
- HTML is platform-independant and can be used in any OS like Windows, Linux, MacOS etc.
- It enables programmers, to add video, audio, images to a web page making it more interactive.
- It allows programmers to add a link on webpages, helping the readers to browse the information of their interest.
- It is case-insensitive. You can use tags either in lower-case or upper-case.
- h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6
- table, tr, th, td, thead, tbody, tfooter
- and more…
Structure of HTML
The basic structure of HTML Template is :
<html> <head> <title> Title of the page </title> </head> <body> <p> Hello World </p> </body> </html>
HTML5 Specification was introduced to meet the below goals :
- Compatability – Ensure backwards and forward compatibility with older versions of HTML and other web technologies.
- Multimedia Support – Provide native support for multimedia content such as Audio, Video, eliminating the need for third-party plugins like Adobe Flash.
- Device Independence – Allow web applications to run on various devices, including desktop computers, laptops, tablets and smartphones.
- Accessibility – Improve accessibility by providing support for assistive technologies and making it easier to create web content that is accessible to users with disabilities.
- Semantic Markup – Promote semantic markup to make web content more meaningful and understandable by humans and machines.
- Consistency – Provide consistent features and behaviours across different browsers, reducing the need for browser specific code.
- Security – Improve security by providing more robust mechanisms for handling user input and data preventing malcious code from executing on a user’s device.
HTML5 introduced some new features like :
- Support for SVG, canvas and other virtual vector graphics.
- HTML5 is not based on SGML. It comes with enhanced parsing rules for improved compatability.
- Web SQL databases are used to store data temporarily. Previously only the browser cache was used.
- Some elements have been removed – applet, isindex, noframes, acronym, dir, font, frame, frameset and big are removed.
- New elements have been added – time, summary, aside, audio, command and data.
How to create various elements in HTML
- Create a Button
- Create a Table
- Create a Form
- Display an Image
- Display a Video
- Create a Article